Best Tank Mates for Betta Fish
Quick Fact: Bettas are aggressive, Male bettas tend to be fairly territorial and it’s best to house them alone.They are more aggresive than females. Male betta fish will attack other males that come in to their teritory.
Some bettas can get along with other tank mates depending upon that individual betta’s preferences. A situation that may work for one betta could be completely different for another. Always monitor all tank inhabitants to make sure that there is no chasing, nipping or other negative behaviors. It is a good idea to keep an extra bowl and treated water on hand in case your betta needs to be swiftly removed from a community tank.
Can a betta really peacefully coexist with other fish in a comunity tank? The answer is yes – if the fish, frog or snail is the right kind of tank mate. Here are a few to try, a few to avoid, and some advice about setting up and decorating a betta tank that will house other animals.
Bellow, we try to write some list kind of Best Tank Mates for Bettas
Experienced betta keepers and breeders generally agree that the following fish animals can live in peace with a betta:
- African dwarf frog – Not to be confused with the "African clawed frog," which is a different breed altogether, the African dwarf frog (often referred to as ADF on fish forums and websites) is a very small frog that is about the same size as an adult male betta. The animals may have to be separated at feeding time, however, because they eat different foods. (And bettas will eat everything in sight.)
- Apple snail / mystery snail – Apple snails and mystery snails, which are either the same or a very similar species of aquarium snails, are good tankmates for bettas – although there is some anecdotal evidence that more aggressive bettas may nip at the snail’s antennae.
- Tetras – Neon tetras and black tetras are small, short-finned fish that are known to be good companion fish for bettas. However, they need to be bought in schools of about 10 – so a betta / tetra setup requires a bigger tank.
- Plecos – The clown pleco or starlight bristlenose pleco is a good fish to have in the tank with the betta. However, the pleco (more correctly, plecostomus) is a much larger fish so it needs at least a 10-gallon tank.
- Zebra danios - Like the tetras, these are small fish that need to be bought in a school.
- Pygmy cory catfish – Very small catfish (they only grow to about 2 cm) that are nice little bottom dwellers.
- Otocinclus, or "oto" fish – Also known as "ottos" or even "dwarf suckermouth catfish," these fish are not aggressive.
Those are generally agreed to be the best tankmates for bettas – now for the worst!
Worst Betta Tank Mates
Though the above fish, snails and frogs can usually get along fine with bettas, there are some fish that should never be put in the same tank as a betta fish. And it’s usually because they look too much like a male betta. Fish to avoid include:
- Fancy guppies
- Fancy-fin goldfish
- Ghost shrimp (although some recommend them as betta companions, they often get eaten!)
The guppies, mollies and fancy-fin goldfish just look so much like bettas that the average betta can’t resist a nip, and the barbs can be too aggressive.
Keyword Pencarian untuk Artikel ini:betta fish companions, betta and mystery snail in 2 5 gallon tank, half moon betta fish, Best Tank Mates for Betta, can mystery snails be in the same tank as a betta fish, tankmate betta, the best betta tankmates,